Vitiligo is an unnatural skin condition, in which white patches appear on the skin due to a loss of pigmentation. 1 to 2% of the total populations with all kinds of skin color are affected by it, however the condition is more visible on people with darker complexion. The condition is not contagious. With the fact that it can be caused at any age the Vitiligo treatment should be started as soon as possible. The causes, symptoms and treatment;
The pigment that gives color to the skin, hair and eyes is called Melanin, the destruction of which causes Vitiligo. The presence of the following disease in one body is likely to cause Vitiligo;
- Addison’s disease
- Pernicious anemia
- Sunburns, stress and exposure to chemicals affecting the skin.
- Disorder of the immune system.
People who suffer from this condition are likely to have social and psychological distress. They might also develop skin cancer in case of exposure to the sun. They might also face hearing and eye problems.
The appearance of white patches on several places on the body is the only symptom of the condition. The white patches will begin to appear first on these parts of the body; lips, arms, face, hands and feet. The following are the most common symptoms;
- Loss of skin color in patches
- Premature graying of the hair on the head, eyelashes, beard or eyebrows.
The extent of how much of the body will be affected is unpredictable. In certain cases one might even experience extensive hair loss and the inner mouth might also be affected. Hair loss solutions will not help much if the hair is falling due to vitiligo.
Treatment and Prevention:
It adequately treated the skin color might be restored; however it would not prevent the condition from occurring again and in new areas. Even though treating the condition is extremely difficult, there are several kinds of vitiligo treatment options available today. Regarding prevention, there are no methods introduced to prevent it from happening, yet.
The following are the treatments used to help the condition;
- Creams: There are two types of creams that help regain the pigment on the affected areas. The creams contain corticosteroid and immunomodulator compounds, which need to be used only if prescribed and according to the dosage prescribed by a doctor.
- Grafting, chemical or laser depigmentation: In case of grafting, surgeries can be done to patch up the skin with pigmented skin from other parts of the body. Chemical and laser depigmentation are treatments using certain equipment and creams for re growth of Melanin in the affected areas.
- For hair loss, there are hair loss solutions, for which atrichologist can be consulted. There are creams and lotions that can be used for calming down and repairing the damaged follicles extent.
Vitiligo can affect the skin in many part or just some specific parts. The most common of its types is called generalized vitiligo. This is when it the area affected is corresponding to each other. In case only one size of the body is affect it is called segmental vitiligo. This type of the condition progresses for a year or two and is usually seen on younger people. The localized or focal vitiligo is noticed only on a few areas of the body.